From Friday, August 5 through Sunday, August 7, Virginians can buy qualifying school supplies and hurricane preparedness items without having to pay state sales tax.
During the 3-day sales tax holiday, consumers can buy school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and certain Energy Star™ appliances without paying sales tax.
Virginia state sales tax varies by locality, ranging from 5.3% to 7%.
The list of eligible items includes:
- School supplies - $20 or less per item
- Clothing and footwear - $100 or less per item
- Portable generators - $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws - $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories - $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items - $60 or less per item
- Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for non-commercial home or personal use - $2,500 or less per item
A complete list of qualifying items is available HERE.
For more information, watch the video below or visit the Virginia Dept. of Taxation website.